UJCC Sunday House Worship Service
December 13, 2020 * 3rd Sunday of Advent
Blessings to you at the beginning of this holy season!
In this season of Advent, you are invited to find 5 candles of any shape, size, or color in your home. Each Sunday, we will mark the journey through Advent by lighting them in our respective homes. During the week, display them in a prominent place. May they bless your home and remind you that it is a sanctuary, a sacred and holy place.
Lighting of the Advent Candles
Reader One: We want everything to look nice: the decorations of the season, our homes with their lights and tinsel, wreaths and ribbons. We want to lighten the shadows around us, bring beauty to the ugliness that wears us down.
Reader Two: We decorate because it is tradition. Because it lifts our hearts. Because it makes us feel like children again. We deck our halls because company is coming.
Reader Three: We light these candles as a sign of our joy in the beautiful things of this season – not just the things that glitter and flash, but the deeper things, the beauty of the heart and the soul, the beauty of love shared in service and hospitality. We light this candle of joy because company is coming. [light three candles.]
Reader Four: The prophet Isaiah smiled when he said, “God will give a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, a mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit.” No matter how far we feel from the spirit of the season, God promises to decorate us with love and with joy. Amen. (dw)
Call To Worship (in unison)
This Advent, we hope and pray for:
Joy as we journey together,
Sight for the blind and healing for the sick,
Freedom for the prisoners and good news for the poor,
Release for the oppressed with justice for all
and love for each other.
And the coming of God’s topsy-turvy,
upside-down Kingdom. (ts)
Song of Centering “Go Tell It On The Mountain” Jimmy & Marissa Chang
We Humbly Adore and Receive
Children’s Time Rev. Sungrae Kim
* sermon manuscript inspired by https://sermons4kids.com/jingle-bells.html
Scripture Reading in Japanese 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 Miwa and Nanami Jones
Sermon “A Message Worth Proclaiming From A Mountain” Rev. Akiko Miyake-Stoner
Song of Reflection "The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy"
You are invited to continue your spiritual practice of giving to the church. Please either mail your offering to the church (136 N. Villa Ave., Clovis, CA 93612) or try our online giving option (LINK HERE). Thank you!
Doxology Youth Band
Joys and Concerns & Time of Prayer
You are invited to share your joys and concerns with one another using our usual format:
Person lifting the prayer: “O God of Mercy;” everyone’s response: “This is our prayer.”
After you share your joys and concerns, go around the circle and offer prayer, praying freely or using this format:
“God, I thank you for…” and “God, I ask for…”
You are invited to close together with The Lord’s Prayer.
* Please join in our Zoom Fellowship & Prayer meeting at 11:30 am
Meeting ID: 892 8141 6160
Or call: +1 669 900 6833
* Zoon Sunday School at 1pm (Click HERE)
* If you or your kids would like to contribute to our virtual worship by music, painting, photos, recipes, or anything, please contact Rev. Rae: email@example.com
Go Now in Peace Becky Messer
Worship Resources: (dw) Derek Weber adapted https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/advent-candle-lighting-liturgy-2020; (ts) Third Space
“Advent Call To Worship: Upside-Down Kingdom” http://third-space.org.uk/
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
16. Rejoice always, 17. pray without ceasing, 18. give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19. Do not quench the Spirit. 20. Do not despise the words of prophets, 21. but test everything; hold fast to what is good; 22. abstain from every form of evil. 23. May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.